Painting on surfaces having higher alkalinity is very challenging, unless the pH level is reduced. The paints delaminate or strip off from the surface due to high alkalinity.
• Alkalinity level can be checked using a simple pH paper.
• A value between 1 and 6 is termed acidic and a value between 8 and 14 is termed alkaline.
|Between pH values 8 and 9||Use any Primer|
|Between pH values 10 and 11||Use water-based Primers only|
|Between pH values 12 and 14||
• Wash the heavy alkaline surface with lime.
• Bring down the pH level to the recommended level.
• Paint the surface based on its nature and as per recommendations.